Monday, July 2, 2007

One Husband and Wife

Last night my main man and I attempted to watch a movie. A friend (who shall remain nameless but his initials are TT) recommended this 1980s flick. Halfway through, I got up and perused the new stack of used books I purchased at the bookstore. "I need chocolate!" I yell. "Me too!" my 51 year old hubby replies.
We had to stop by our office and put the trash in the dumpster since Monday is trash day. So, after out usual Sunday night task, we pulled into the local Walgreen's. We both know exactly where the candy aisle is located. Years back, I could blame it on the kids--but now I blame it on hormones. I don't know what my man blames it on except that he is a prince of a fellow who stops by and picks up candy for his wife on occasion.

So.....there we are at the checkout counter: two 40+ somethin's in old shorts and tee shirts. I am armed with a Dove Creamy milk chocolate bar and Kenneth is armed with a Heath bar. (does it get better than this, ladies?) There is a woman ahead of us in line (about our age) and she looks at us and starts laughing. Yes, you read that right: l-a-u-g-h-i-n-g. Then she has the gall to say," Big night for you two? Nine o'clock at Walgreen's buying candy?"

I'm so stunned that I just kind of look at her. Kenneth, being the razor sharp legal minded man he is said, "I wouldn't say much if I were you. Two bags of Frito's and Salsa?" Then we all start laughing. By this time I was down right giddy. "It's kind of sad isn't it?" she said, "when a trip to Walgreen's is a big night out? Hey, at least I am buying my supper!" She pays and leaves. Kenneth looked at me and said, "At least we remembered our dessert."

Of course, by the time we got home, Bill and Joe were home and asked where their candy was. I rubbed my belly...Kenneth shared his Heath bar. I am so thankful that God gave us a sense of humor, aren't you? Being able to laugh at the little things in life with your soul mate is priceless...

Blessings,
Jan (quiltgirl)

Uplifting stories from a Mom's heart