Wednesday, July 11, 2007

I'm Published!

Well ladies...one of my dreams has come true! I can say that I have been published!

My biggest dream has always been to write a book and actually have people purchase it...and like it! I've taken the first step. Here's how it's played out so far.

When my mom was diagnosed with cancer four years ago, my two older brothers and I became her caretakers. She and my daddy live five hours from each of us. My brothers live in Texas and Mississippi. I live in Arkansas.

After Momma went to be with the Lord, I sat down and wrote her eulogy. It was the hardest thing I've ever done, but I was determined that those who attended her funeral know what a servant's heart she had. After the service, many people told me that they thought I had a knack for writing. I didn't think much about it at the time. (I thought they were being extremely polite in a funeral setting :))

Months passed and I found that I needed an outlet for my grief other than my husband and prayer. God prompted me to put my feelings down on paper. After a while, the musings turned into stories of wacky relatives, family memories and growing up in the south. (My Yankee friends love to hear stories about what we did in east Texas to pass the time)

So...four years later, I have a manuscript that is almost complete. I am finishing the ending as we speak. When I began this adventure at the prompting of the Holy Spirit, I asked the Lord to please let my words be honoring to Him. More than anything, I want to write Christian fiction that is funny, southern and uplifting. As my husband says: Chick lit.......

My former pastor's wife encouraged me to send in a story to HomeLife magazine. We receive this magazine at our church. I did and lo and behold they printed it in the June issue!!! Not only that, but I will be in the September issue as well.

Girls, this is God's sweet gift to a stay at home mom who is about to lose her oldest child to college. I can't tell you how humbling it is when someone actually pays good money (an expression my mom always used...is there such a thing as bad money I wonder?) for an article!

So... if any of you siestas (you know who you are) out there in blog land happen to take HomeLife, look me up. Because I'm finally published!!!!

Your blogging friend,
Jan
aka quiltgirl60

Uplifting stories from a Mom's heart