Monday, July 23, 2007

Getting Ready for the Dormitory

Well, the time has come--the time to prepare my firstborn for college. I knew it would get here--eventually. I just didn't think it would be quite this soon!

I must admit though...I had a blast shopping for all the goods and reliving my college days! Of course, there was no Bed Bath and Beyond when I was in school. (ahem....was it that long ago? ) Only Ben Franklin's Five and Dime and a NEW Wal-Mart. And I live in Wal-Mart country. Really...the world headquarters is just up the road a bit.

I couldn't believe all the cool stuff they make just for dorm rooms! You can "loft" your bed and put a chair and a desk under it. You can buy the neatest small plastic shelf to fit on a dorm bed. It's just the perfect place for a small lamp, alarm clock, etc. And they're in the cutest colors!

I told my son about how we carried real mop buckets to the showers with our shampoo etc. Now they make shower totes that come in every shape, size and color. And they coordinate with towels, bath wraps and every possible toiletry imaginable. Of course, my 18 year old son has informed me that he WILL NOT be carrying a shower tote this fall. Okay, so I emailed my best friend who is buying dorm goodies for her daughter.

On to other news:
My three guys just left for a popular steakhouse right off campus. I opted to stay home and do my nails :) There's just something about a ordering a steak the size of my Thanksgiving turkey platter...not very ladylike...although I DID remind them to bring any and all leftovers home to me.

So, while they are out eating the "hunter/gatherer" meal, I am going to put Doris Day in the dvd player and change my nail color from Texas orange to pink.

Have a great day.

Blessings,
Jan
quiltgirl

Uplifting stories from a Mom's heart