Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Does this look like a killer to you?

I just returned from taking young Oswald (aka Ozzie, Oz, Ozman, Pooch, Poochetta) to get his yearly vaccinations. I was SHOCKED when he tried to take the vet's hand off at the wrist. We're talking show your teeth, growl, and emit things from (how can I say this in a ladylike fashion?) the back end. I felt like a young mother in the pediatrician's office with an unreasonable three year old.

This dog has never, ever done anything other than lick us to death, lie on the sofa, and beg for dog biscuits. I was so surprised that I didn't know what to say. So, I said "you know, we think he was abused as a puppy before we adopted him at the shelter." Dr. Vet looked at me and nodded like I was crazy. It's true. Oz still won't drink water from a bowl. He stares at it like it's a snake ready to strike. His food bowl has to be completely full before he'll eat from it. What can I say? He's not the brightest bulb in the box, but we love him.

I asked Dr. Vet to cut his toenails since I was there and Dr. Vet is, after all, a PROFESSIONAL-- he had to manhandle him while the sweet little technician cut his nails. Ozman continued to growl and emit---I'm still in shock. WHO KNEW? that primal instinct is always lurking under the surface.


Kind of like me in my MENOPAUSAL STATE.

Oh well, a hot flash is comin' on. Gotta run.

Blessings,
Jan

Uplifting stories from a Mom's heart