Monday, October 27, 2008

Steppin Up

The weekend started with a tour of new newly renovated high school. They've put millions--yes, millions into the additions. This is our group standing by the school logo. And a pic of the new tower.
The new tower on the south side of the high school."Dressing Right" to space ourselves for our infamous kick routines...(is that a hoot? Not one of us could kick our legs higher than our knees)


They have an INDOOR football field now for the band and athletic groups to practice on. Not to mention a DANCE STUDIO for the drill team, cheerleaders and dance classes. A new basketball facility, weight rooms, new tennis courts, DRIVING RANGE, and they are building a new Performing Arts center named after our precious drama teacher.








It was so much fun to see how things have changed in THIRTY YEARS. Friday night we were honored at the football game before kickoff. Even after thirty years, I had butterflies in my tummy! We were all thrilled that we didn't have to kick our legs up to our cowgirl hats! The high school boy who had my camera thought the camera belonged to my high school friend, Michelle. So....I have NO pics of me, but tons of Michelle and Pat.




Those cute little Highsteppers in their SEQUINS. Hello...we didn't have sequins or cute little cowgirl boots. But we had white GO GO boots, baby...That's right. It was 1978 and Disco ruled.



Saturday night was hilarious. We had REAL MEXICAN FOOD. thank you very much. And then a style show. Honest to Pete...we were screaming our heads off. Two girls had their old Friday uniforms. Remember those? The cheap uniforms you could wear to school and keep FOREVER?

Oh yeah...flash gloves ruled...



And who could forget the wool junior high cheerleader jacket? Orange and black!!! No wonder the other schools made fun of us by throwing pumpkins.

Notice the DICKEY? It was the only part of my uniform my mother saved. Looks good with pink and black, don't you think?


The favorite part of my weekend was returning to the church where I grew up. I had not been there since my wedding 25 years ago because the church moved north as the town grew. Another church is there now. They were more than happy to give me a tour. Very few things had changed. For instance: the shuffleboard tiles on fellowship hall floor.


The sanctuary looks just like it did when I worshipped there as a little girl. I can still smell the Old English lemon conditioner on the pews.


I drove around town and took pics of the houses we lived in. One woman let me come in and look around. It's funny how small everything appeared--I remember it all as much larger.


So...there's the weekend recap. I have about one hundred pictures to sort. Gotta love digital photography...


So, now back to the real world. There are AT LEAST ten loads of laundry for today--not to mention an empty refrigerator.


Hope you have a wonderful week!


Jan

Uplifting stories from a Mom's heart