Friday, August 24, 2007

Nice Matters



My goodness gracious alive! I've been awarded the Nice Matters Award. Thank you Kim over at connorcolesmom. I accept this honor on behalf of all the southern gals who learned that being nice, courteous and respectful was synonymous with good breeding. (no matter how many of your closets were filled with family lunatics etc.) I would like to thank my mother, grandmother and the generations of women before them who learned that no matter what life throws your way, southern girls ALWAYS smile, begin each salutation with Mister or Miss and accept compliments like this one with humility. I would also like to thank my producer, director and make-up artist who had a huge role in my winning this award. Kudos to you all (y'all).

Okay...on to real life.

I awakened with a bad case of the "common crud" this morning. (how's that for generational manners and breeding?) Seriously, I feel like a hippo is sitting on my chest and forcing all the air out of my lungs. I have deducted that this ailment can be traced to the vast amount of DUST that I inhaled while cleaning my college freshman's bedroom. (see previous posts) When I get like this I have to call on the medical community for vast amounts of antibiotics. They should be here shortly. Nothing like starting the weekend off in bed with a golden retriever mix who's been digging in my flower beds and an array of 78 channels with only one decent selection worthy of watching.

Which brings me to share the following factual information. If you are squeamish, you may want to pass up the following scientific data.
  • Did you know that when the female crocodile has buried her eggs, she can hear them hatching? And that she gently digs them up, puts them in her MOUTH and swallows them?
  • And that they go into a special pouch behind her throat while she swims to a safe place in the river to deposit them?
  • And that she can carry as many as 15 in this pouch at once?
  • And that she will abolish any predator who even THINKS about harming her cute little babies?
  • That fortunate crocodiles live to be 80?

How handy would it have been to have that pouch when my guys were little, I ask you? And to carry around a set of JAWS like hers to ward off predators that might hurt my children?

I shall look at the female crocodile with renewed respect--from my comfortable bed. Gotta go. The wildebeest are making their annual trek to the other side of the river. I hope they all make it:)

Until tomorrow my faithful four readers!

Jan

Uplifting stories from a Mom's heart