Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Beauty and the Beast







For three nights, I have covered my beloved hydrangea bush because Dan the Weather Man has promised a hard freeze. And for three mornings, I have retrieved king sized sheets from my back yard. Ozzie had fetched, chewed and EATEN every chip clip, clothespin and hairchip I own. We are in for some stale Tostitos, gals...


What can I say? I gave in to the beastly coldfront, cut 30+ blooms and have taken on the role of candystriper in my community. No kiddin'--our house looks like a flower shop. But I am not complaining because, after all, that would be stinky.

And I am not stinky...I smell rather nice.

I have posted about my hydrangea bush before. So, if you have already read about it, you may want to go on over to another siesta's blog because I'm gonna write about it again. Yes ma'am I am.


Someone sent this lovely plant to me when I was recovering from childbirth with son #1. I planted it in the backyard 18 years ago. I gotta tell ya girls, this bush brings me almost as much pleasure as a Dairy Queen ice cream cake. And that is sayin' a lot, because here in Northwest Arkansas, we don't have DQ.


Which, by the way is just wrong. W R O N G. I grew up on Dilly Bars, DQ Dudes and praise the LORD---the Texas toast and steakfinger basket. Can I get a umhum?


But, I digress.


So...Dan the Man says we are in for a hard freeze tonight. Low 20's. It was 72 degrees on Monday and 33 degrees when Ozzie awakened me with a kiss this morning. (it just occurred to me why his breath smelled like chips...) Tonight I shall send the dog to sleep with his personal chewtoy, Joe, and will cross my fingers that Dan the Man is wrong once again.


I snickered to myself as I cut those huge, gorgeous blossoms. Darwin, my foot. Boy was he wrong.
I just know that God continues to grow my flowers for me because, well, He is just sweet that way.

And creative. And kind. And His mercies are new every morning.

Unlike me, when I have to munch on stale chips because of Ozzie.
Until tomorrow my bloggity buddies,

Jan

Uplifting stories from a Mom's heart