Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Where are my EYEBROWS?

I had the most incredible day. Actually, it was days ago, but I just recovered enough to write about it.

There is nothing, I repeat, NOTHING like getting your hair done. Am I right or what? And for those of us who check the BLONDE box on all forms that ask a woman her hair color, there is nothing like getting your ROOTS COLORED. Right?

You blondes know I am.

So...I'm sitting in the salon chair yakking it up with my hair guy (who's a wonderful Christian) about all things hair related. Lo and behold, I look in the mirror (with my hair lathered in blonde) and notice how DARK my eyebrows are. Now, I've always known that one can tell the true color of another's hair by inspecting the eyebrow color. "Patrick," I ask, "can you dye my eyebrows to match my hair?" He assures me he can provide this service. An hour later I walk out of the salon looking a little younger (perhaps) and a whole lot blonder.

None of my men (hubs and sons) notice that my eyebrows now match my hair color.

How rude.

I don't think much about it until the next morning...

...when I am drying my hair and realize THAT I CAN'T SEE MY EYEBROWS BECAUSE THEY ARE SO BLONDE. Holy Cow Batman. I'm standing in the mirror staring at myself and thinking that I am on the slippery slope to blue hair. You know? Those little old ladies that you sit behind in church with BLUE hair? Help me, Lord!

If that was not bad enough, as I stood in the bathroom staring at my blonder self, the phone rang. I answered it. It was a woman who was calling to confirm that I would be available to speak at their women's retreat this year. (note: I still can't believe anyone in their right mind would call me for this, but what can I say? God does work in mysterious ways) We exchanged pleasantries and when she asked what I was doing and could I talk...well, I couldn't lie. I told her I was looking for my eyebrows.

She must have the gift of mercy.

I'm still on the program.

Blessings from the bleached blonde Baptist (my mother-in-law's nickname for me),
Jan

p.s. by the way, you may see this story in a magazine soon, or you may not... depends on how blonde I am that day.

Uplifting stories from a Mom's heart