Tuesday, June 24, 2008

What a Month

In case you've wondered where I've been, read on...

Three weeks ago, I had what I thought was another arthritis flare-up in my hips. Turns out it was diverticulitis. I waited three days too long to have it checked out. As soon as I got to the ER on a Tuesday afternoon, I was admitted into the hospital sometime in the wee hours of the morning. Since I have rheumatoid arthritis, I take large doses of a drug called methotrexate. It suppresses the immune system which is constantly attacking itself. If I want to live semi-painfree, I have to take the drug. The downside is that my body isn't able to fight infection very well. Hence...the diverticulitis. Let me tell you girls, it's like being in labor all over again. Luckily, we caught in time with large IV doses of antibiotics. I could be without a colon as I write. (I don't even want to go there)

So, I got to spend four days in the hospital on morphine--not fun. I went home and thought I was better. Then three days after that, the pain and fever returned. I went back in the hospital for more cat scans. Seems that the diverticulitis was under control, but sometime that week my darn ovaries decided to grow a couple of cysts. So...after more tests, pain meds and lots of care from hospital staff, I came home two days ago. I went for an ultrasound at my ob/gyn (who was Hubs college roommate) and will return in three weeks to see if they've grown or burst. YIKES

I feel like I woke up from a three week nap. Flowers bloomed! Grass grew! It's rather surreal around here. But...I only write all of this because I am so thankful to the Lord for the way He constantly cares for me and my family. This is the second time in the last year that my 16 year old son has had to either call an ambulance or drive me to the ER. The ER doc was a man from our home church. My rheumatologist is also Hubby's golf partner for 20 years. He was a day away from leaving on a 10 day trip. My surgeon is new to me but luckily I didn't need his services. Hubs has a trial this week but I am good to sit around the house and read or be chauffeured around by friends and neighbors.

I really don't like to write about so much REAL LIFE. I think Blogs are much more fun when superficial. But...if you are friends with someone who has fibromyalgia and/or rheumatoid arthritis, say an extra prayer for them. Living with constant pain is hard stuff. You know those new pharmaceutical commercials you see for RA? They're right on the money. Sometimes just being touched hurts.

Hopefully, tomorrow will be better. Today is already better than yesterday was. Praise the Lord! He is worthy of praise!

Going to lala land now!
Jan

Uplifting stories from a Mom's heart